Monday, April 28, 2008

Shrimp, Feta and Orzo Salad

This is a nice spring recipe after all the heaviness of winter. I absolutely LOVE orzo, so any recipe that has it I love to try out. Dressing recipe to follow salad recipe.

Shrimp, feta, and orzo salad.
Yields 2 to 3 servings
You will need:
  • 1 garlic clove (minced)
  • 3/4 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp minced fresh oregano
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/2 pound medium shrimp (about 16 to 18) shelled and deveined
  • 3/4 cup uncooked orzo
  • 1/3 cup crumbled feta
  • 1 medium tomato
  • 3 scallions (sliced)
  • 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
  • 1 cup baby arugula
In a bowl, whisk together garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper to taste. Add shrimp to marinade, stirring to coat well. Cover and marinate at least one hour in the refrigerator.

After marinating shrimp prepare grill pan by heating to medium high. Meanwhile cook the orzo according to the package directions. Drain and let cool completely.

When orzo is cool, stir in feta, tomato, scallions, and parsley leaves. Add dressing to taste and toss well. Season with salt and pepper.

By now your grill pan should be heated. Remove shrimp from marinade and (discard marinade) grill shrimp until just cooked through. This will be about two minutes on each side (they will change color to an orangish pink when cooked).

Remove shrimp and toss with the orzo mixture. Line salad bowls with the arugula and fill with the orzo salad.

*note* I used whole wheat orzo because that is what I had on hand. I also used green onions instead of scallions because that is what I had, you just have to use more onion.

Lemon dressing
  • 1/2 garlic clove, chopped
  • 2 Tbl. fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 2 tsp. minced fresh oregano leaves
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a blender (I use the magic bullet) until emulsified. I thought that this dressing was actually quite lacking in flavor. I think that it needed more acid so when I make it again I will probably add more lemon juice and/or balsamic vinegar.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

This sounds AWESOME!! I will definitely have to try it out :)

You just love your grill pan! ;)