- 1 pound bulk sausage (I use hot and spicy, but you can also use Italian)
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 package (8 oz.) sliced mushrooms (I prefer baby bellas, they cook better)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups uncooked pasta (this time I used skinny lasagna noodles and broke them up. You just want something a little bit hearty. Things like elbows or shells will just break apart)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 jar (26 to 30oz.) chunky tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups Italian blend cheese or Mozzarella
Cook sausage and onions in a DEEP 12 inch skillet or a 4 quart Dutch oven over medium high heat. Stir occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink. Stir in peppers and mushrooms. Let cook until peppers start to soften and mushrooms start to cook.
Stir in remaining ingredients, except cheese. Heat until boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Turn of heat. Stir in 1/2 cup to 1 cup cheese. Top with remaining cheese.