This is a fast easy way to enjoy Chicken Potpie without a ton of calories. This recipe is adapted from Rachel Ray.
Chicken Potpie Casserole
Servings: 4 to 6
You will Need:
- 2 T olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 12 or so baby carrots, sliced thin
- salt and pepper
- 8oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 T flour
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 T finely chopped parsley, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus 2 T for topping
- 6 to 8 slices of Italian bread, cut 1/2 inch thick
Arrange oven rack to the lower third of the oven and preheat for 400 degrees.
In a Dutch oven (or other skillet that can go from the stove top to the oven), heat 2 T olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots and salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes or until carrots are tender, but crisp. Increase the heat to medium high. Add in the chicken broth, mushrooms and peas. Cook about 6 minutes. Sprinkle the flour on top and stir until well combined. Stir in the heavy cream and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the chicken parsley and Parmesan. Season with more pepper if desired.
Smooth the mixture into an even layer. Place bread slices on top in a single layer. Brush bread with olive oil and sprinkle with 2 T Parmesan and additional parsley. Bake until crispy, about 15 minutes. Enjoy!